Pages

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Today in Abu Dhabi

Today in Abu Dhabi:

28 February - Nails and sunbathing -- today was a good day! And how is tomorrow March 1?

27 February - It is our "Friday" - woot, woot!

26 February - This week cannot be over soon enough.

25 February - PAYDAY!

24 February - Denise, from Koler Expo, emailed us. More to come on that at a later date.

23 February - I'm still teaching grade 4 and a grade 6. Rob is still more referee than teacher. But, whatever. It's almost payday.

22 February - Happy birthday to my mom! Wish we were there to celebrate with you!

21 February - Our weekends are the best.

20 February - FREE DAY at school. No teaching required and there were blow-up slides at my school.

18/19 February - Nothing like food poisoning to ruin your week. Nothing like getting two days off from school. Woot, woot!

17 February - Happy birthday, sweet Isla Younger! We miss you!

16 February - Nothing much to report from today. We survived to fight...I mean, teach...another day.

15 February - We have to go back to school tomorrow. We've never had jobs that we dreaded so badly.

14 February - Happy Valentine's Day!

13 February - We booked the first part of our spring break trip to Europe - Italy, here we come!

12 February - Today was a rough day. School is tough, we are missing home, so we threw ourselves a bit of a pity party: complete with comfort food as we watched the Olympics.

11 February - We bought Apple TV. It is awesome.

10 February - I cooked dinner tonight. Winning!

9 February - FaceTime is such a spectacular thing. Nothing quells the feeling of homesickness quite like being able to talk screen-to-screen with our moms. I mean, getting to visit home would be GREAT, but until summer, FaceTime will have to do. School Note: Rob is still learning the names of his new classes (three to be exact) and I'm still adjusting to being a grade 6 and a grade 4 teacher. I just do not know how you elementary teachers out there do it!

Also, I cleaned the apartment today for the first time since Christmas break. Please don't be too judgy.

8 February - Some time by the pool and I think we are ready to tackle the week. Rob isn't all the way sick...yet.

7 February - I didn't get out of my PJs today. Neither did Rob. It was a good day of lounging on the couch.

6 February - Still sick. Still tired. And now Rob is getting sick.

5 February - It's my littlest sister's 21st birthday. Goodness, that makes me feel old.

4 February - Please refer to my "PB&CC" post. It's been a rough day.

3 February - We cheered for Peyton Manning during our DVR'd copy of the Super Bowl. What a terrible football game, but at least the commercials were decent.

2 February - I've been sick since January 5. Today, I took a sick day. And in order to take a sick day, I had to do the following: call in sick, go to the doctor, convince the doctor that I was indeed sick (not just wanting the day off), wait in line for an hour for my prescription to be filled, and pay $27 for the doctor's visit and 4 prescriptions. I think I'll just go to school tomorrow.

1 February - Rob's writing a book. I got my nails done. It was a good day.

31 January - Dubai's Omega Classic: Rory, Tiger, Fred, and my boy(friend), Miguel Angel Jiminez.

30 January - Dubai for the weekend: a night exploring old Dubai's Heritage Village, a professional golf event tomorrow, and a sincere appreciation of living in Abu Dhabi, rather than Dubai (a post to come explaining that viewpoint).

29 January - It's been a rough week at school for both of us. We went to bed at 9:23pm. And that was the highlight of our day.

28 January - We paid off two credit cards today: it was a LEGEN - wait for it - DARY.  We've also been watching a lot of How I Met Your Mother. 

27 January - A parent of one of my students gave a PD presentation to our staff on the difference between active and hyperactive children. It was all in Arabic and we viewed the PowerPoint in the "Edit" pane, not the "Show" view. It lasted an hour.

26 January - I'm officially a grade 4 teacher for the rest of the trimester. It's going to be okay, it's going to be okay, it's going to be okay.

25 January - Happy birthday, Dad! And hooray for Skype so we could (kind of) be there!

24 January - Drinks at a hotel that overlooks the Yacht Club and the Abu Dhabi Formula One Racetrack? Uh, yes, please!

The bar is in the upper left hand corner, right under the open roof of lights.

23 January - Thursday is our Friday (and thank goodness for that).

22 January - I survived my first Abu Dhabi-style P/T conferences tonight. No one screamed at me in Arabic, no one (aka me) cried. Really, the only thing that could have made today better would have been a "post conference" at the Firehouse.

21 January - We stopped on our way home from school to get information on leasing a car from the local Chevy dealership. It was 3:03pm. They are open from 8:00-1:00 and 4:30-8:30. We left, defeated by the silliness of what is deemed "working hours." 

20 January - A fourth grade student asked me, "Miss, you have rubber?"I stammered, "Um...I'm not sure what you mean." She replied, "Miss, you know..." then pointed to the top of her pencil, turned it over, and acted like she was erasing her writing. Rubber = eraser in Abu Dhabi.

No comments:

Post a Comment